FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  <strong>Gallery</strong>Gallery  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
INDEX PAGE

Poszukujemy osób, które jeśli mają ku temu ochotę zajęły się publicystyką, recenzjami płyt muzycznych, korektą stylistyczną tekstów, redagowaniem biografii zespołów, newsami oraz wszystkim tym, co wam przyjdzie do głowy, a uważacie, iż powinno znaleźć swoje miejsce na portalu. kontakt: admin@darknation.eu
Ostatnio na forum
1. Forum zdechło?
04-02-18, 04:25 - Piottr
3. Ambient Collage #8
30-11-16, 02:06 - yy28
4. Ambient Collage #7
29-05-16, 21:05 - yy28
5. Mgla (The Mist)
04-05-16, 15:00 - Vexatus
6. Achaja
04-05-16, 14:54 - Vexatus
Forum Index » About the site » Reviews » In Ruin - Seeds of the Past (2004)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gothycka Mucha

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: 15-12-2005, 13:16    Post subject: In Ruin - Seeds of the Past (2004) Quote selected Reply with quote

The material published by Bunkier Productions was originally published in 2003 and it is a demo. I was really surprised by this fact, as both the music, the way it is realised and the coherence of the material suggest that it is a finished whole and not just some prologue foreshadowing their forthcoming full album The Frustration of Invisible Hands.

The album is very short - a bit over thirty minutes and it contains eight tracks, including Oh Coal Black Smith that is a cover of Current 93, served in a slightly fresher version. However, its style is different from the rest of the album and the material would do well without it.

The opening Seeds of the Past introduces us well into the atmosphere of the whole, that from that moment will be floating in a slow, acoustic way, completed by the warm, low vocal of Terry Collia, who is also responsible for the sound of the guitars. Coming next Darkness and a short The Emptiness Inside definitely match the first track, and the latter is as if the interlude to the moving The Wild Flower's Song. The original demo was closed by I wonder with a very nice refrain and a cover of Current 93. What we get here are two other songs (Twilight's Escape and Solace) that really make the album more valuable. They were re-recorded in 2004 but their first versions were created during the same session as the rest of the material from Seeds of the Past and, as the band assures in the note added to the record, "they are filled with the same spirit that was present during that session". They were recorded especially for this publication (that appeared in Poland and in England), so we feel honoured.

Twilight's Escape is a minisuite, enriched by the background voices and a bit more lively vocal, making Terry Collia more like Ian Curtis. It is probably the most beautiful composition of the whole album. And this is how the album is - just beautiful.
Solace on the other hand, is shorter, faster and a bit more concise but equally moving. It's hard to believe that the album finishes so quickly, that it is the end, that this mere half an hour passed so swiftly. That we have to leave this beautiful world conjured for us only by In Ruin. That it's just a demo material.

For a long time I haven't heard an album that would enchant me in such a way with its beauty. I congratulate you, guys. I'm really satisfied to give you 9 stars out of 10. Just 9 because 10 is reserved for your full-length album that will surely be a great thing.

Mark: 9/10

Track list:
1. Seeds of the Past
2. Darkness
3. The Emptiness Inside
4. The Wild Flower's Song
5. I Wonder
6. Oh Coal Black Smith (Current 93 cover)
7. Twilight's Escape
8. Solace

The band:
Terry Collia (g, voc), Alex Hathaway (add g, prog, b, backing voc)

_inruin_168.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.76 KB
 Viewed:  13139 Time(s)

_inruin_168.jpg

Forum Index » About the site » Reviews » In Ruin - Seeds of the Past (2004)

Jump to: